NEHEP Partnership Directory
Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 420
Rockville, MD 20852
Web Site: http://www.opted.org
Melvin D. Shipp, O.D., M.P.H.
Dean and Professor
The Ohio State University College of Optometry
338 West 10th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1240
Kelli White, MPH
Government Affairs Liaison for AOA-ASCO
1505 Prince Street Suite 300
Alexandria, VA 22314
The mission of the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry is to serve the public through the continued advancement and promotion of all aspects of academic optometry.
In support of this mission, the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry is committed to fulfilling the leadership role in the optometric education enterprise by:
- Serving as the advocate and spokesperson at the national level;
- Providing leadership in education policy and research;
- Supporting member institutions in the advancement of common goals;
- Encouraging and facilitating interaction and cooperation among member institutions;
- Serving as a liaison to the larger community of optometric organizations, health professions, education associations, other health care professions and industry;
- Promoting ethnic and cultural diversity; and by supporting member institutions embracement of diversity in their practices and programs as it embodies the idea of an open and multicultural society and,
- Supporting the international development of optometric education
ASCO represents all accredited schools and colleges of optometry in the fifty states and Puerto Rico. Our organization's Affiliate Members include the Canadian schools of optometry, other foreign schools, allied organizations, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
ASCO program activities cover a wide range of programs including applicant development and diversity, cultural competency, faculty and executive development, government affairs, residency promotion, data development and analysis, strategic communications and publications, centralized application and residency matching services, and other activities.
Annual meeting, always in June
Board meetings, three times a year
Optometric Education: Peer-reviewed journal published three times a year
Eye on Education: Online newsletter published three times a year
Date Last Updated