Low Vision Infographic
What is low vision?
It is when—even with regular glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery—people find everyday tasks difficult to do.
What causes low vision?
Low vision is usually caused by—
- Eye diseases or health disorders
- Eye injuries
- Birth defects
What are the numbers?
- 2.9 million Americans have low vision.
- Expected to increase 72 percent by 2030.
- Most people with low vision are 65 or older.
What can I do?
- See an eye care professional.
- Learn about vision rehabilitation.
- Get a good support team—You, your primary eye care professional, a specialist in low vision, and your rehabilitation specialists.
What is vision rehabilitation?
Vision rehabilitation services
Services that help people make the most of their vision and keep their independence by teaching them how to—
- Move safely around the home.
- Carry out daily living skills safely.
- Find resources and support.
- Use magnifiers and other adaptive devices.
Where can I learn more?
Source: National Eye Institute, 2013