You are probably eligible to enter the NEI Challenge if you are
- A US Citizen or permanent resident
- 18 years old or older
- Not an employee of the NIH
The following statements are copied from the federal register notice that officially announced the requirements of this challenge (Vol. 77, No. 156/Monday, August 13, 2012):
- To be eligible to win a prize under this Challenge, a Contestant:
- Shall have registered to participate in the competition under the rules on the challenge website (www.nei.nih.gov/challenge and here on this page)
- Shall be an individual at least 18 years of age and shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- May not be a Federal employee acting within the scope of their employment. Federal employees seeking to participate in this contest outside the scope of their employment should consult their ethics official prior to developing their submission;
- May not be employees of the NIH or any other company or individual involved with the design, production, execution, judging, or distribution of the Challenge and their immediate family (spouse, parents and step-parents, siblings and step-siblings, and children and step-children) and household members (people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year);
- Federal grantees may not use Federal funds to develop America COMPETES Act Challenge applications unless consistent with the purpose of their grant award; and
- Federal contractors may not use Federal funds from a contract to develop a challenge entry or to fund efforts in support of a challenge submission.
- A Contestant shall not be deemed ineligible because the individual used Federal facilities or consulted with Federal employees during a competition if the facilities and employees are made available to all individuals participating in the competition on an equitable basis.
- Liability: By participating in this Challenge, Contestants agree to assume any and all risks and waive claims against the Federal Government and its related entities, except in the case of willful misconduct, for any injury, death, damage, or loss of property, revenue, or profits, whether direct, indirect, or consequential, arising from participation in this prize contest, whether the injury, death, damage, or loss arises through negligence or otherwise.
- Indemnification: By participating in this Challenge, Contestants agree to indemnify the Federal Government against third party claims for damages arising from or related to competition activities.
- Insurance: Based on the subject matter of the contest, the type of work that it will possibly require, as well as an analysis of the likelihood of any claims for death, bodily injury, or property damage, or loss potentially resulting from contest participation, Contestants are not required to obtain liability insurance or demonstrate financial responsibility in order to participate in this contest.
- By participating in this Challenge, each individual agrees to abide by all rules set forth in www.Challenge.gov/terms.