The mission of the National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP) is to reduce the morbidity and mortality of diabetes and its complications. The program is a federally sponsored initiative of the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and involves public and private partners to improve the treatment and outcomes for people with diabetes, to promote early diagnosis, and, ultimately, to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
The program translates the latest science around diabetes into accurate, evidence-based messages for the public, patients, and healthcare professionals. NDEP also releases messages and materials to translate the science of diabetes prevention into clinical practice and to raise awareness among high-risk individuals. NDEP works with more than 200 partners at the federal, state, and local levels to change the way diabetes is treated. In 2013, NDEP adopted a new five-year strategic plan with a commitment to expand its work with current and new partner organizations representing healthcare professionals, including community health workers, and community-based organizations. NDEP partners work with NDEP to do the following:
- Collaborate with local and national organizations to extend the reach of NDEP messages, materials, and tools.
- Adopt, adapt, cobrand and/or evaluate NDEP messages and materials for their audiences, as appropriate.
- Integrate NDEP’s messages, materials, and tools into their ongoing activities and promote them within their organization and to partners and their constituents.
- Provide input to NDEP on how to effectively reach and engage the populations they serve.
- Work with NDEP to address community and diabetes-related social determinants of health to improve diabetes prevention and care.
NDEP tailors messages to minority populations that are disproportionately affected by the disease as well as to the general population. NDEP has a wide variety of educational materials for people with diabetes and their families; healthcare providers; and community, business, and managed care organizations. Visit the publications section of the website at http://ndep.nih.gov/publications/index.aspx to view and order materials. News & Notes: News & Notes is NDEP’s monthly e-newsletter, and is designed to keep readers informed about NDEP activities and help them identify opportunities to incorporate NDEP messages, products, and activities into their programs. To learn more or subscribe, visit http://ndep.nih.gov/partners-community-organization/news-notes/index.aspx.