A new report gives recommendations for regenerating retinal ganglion cells (RGCs), crucial neurons in the back of the eye that carry visual information to the brain.
An international study of more than 5,417 people helps pinpoint the genetic risk factors associated with Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy, the most common disorder requiring corneal transplantation.
Four to 12 percent of people undergoing cataract surgery to replace a cloudy lens with a clear artificial one develop posterior capsule opacification (PCO). Also referred to as secondary cataract, PCO is the most common vision-compromising complication of cataract surgery.
News from NEI Grantees
- Brain “rewires” itself to enhance other senses in blind people March 22, 2017
- Fighting Blindness: TSRI Scientists Bring a Key Protein into Focus March 6, 2017
- Vitamin B3 Prevents Glaucoma, JAX Researchers Find February 16, 2017
- New Method to Detect Ultrasound with Light February 13, 2017
- In the Zinc of an Eye January 9, 2017
- National Multisite Study Led by NYU Langone Seeks New & Innovative Ways to Treat Shingles of the Eye November 17, 2016
- Retinitis Pigmentosa May Be Treated by Reprogramming Sugar Metabolism November 14, 2016
- New Findings Show Promise for Treatment of Graves’ Disease and Other Ocular Disorders November 11, 2016
- Pain medicine helps preserve vision in model of inherited retinal degeneration June 27, 2016
- Researchers Find Immunosuppressive Medication An Effective Treatment For Ocular Graft-Versus-Host-Disease April 13, 2016
- Scientists reveal new target for anti-lymphangiogenesis drugs April 12, 2016
- Largest Eye Study Among Chinese Americans Identifies More Effective Ways to Prevent and Treat Blinding Eye Diseases for This Racial Group April 8, 2016
- Neuronal Feedback Could Change What We “See” March 29, 2016
- Nerve injury appears to be root of diabetes-related vision loss March 23, 2016
- IUPUI researchers use stem cells to identify cellular processes related to glaucoma March 21, 2016
- Before retinal cells die, they regenerate, Penn Vet blindness study finds March 18, 2016