Six biological pigments called rhodopsins play well-established roles in light-sensing in the fruit fly eye. Three of them also have light-independent roles in temperature sensation.
Monthly eye injections of Avastin (bevacizumab) are as effective as the more expensive drug Eylea (aflibercept) for the treatment of central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), according to a clinical trial funded by the National Eye Institute (NEI), part of the National Institutes of Health.
Systemic therapy consisting of corticosteroids and immunosuppressants preserved vision of uveitis patients better – and had fewer adverse outcomes – than a long-lasting corticosteroid intraocular implant, according to a clinical trial funded by the National Eye Institute (NEI).
News from NEI Grantees
- Retinal cells go with the flow to assess own motion through space June 7, 2017
- A Better View of How Tumors Form in the Eye May 11, 2017
- Preschool Children Face Increasing Vision Problems Over Coming Decades May 4, 2017
- Brain “rewires” itself to enhance other senses in blind people March 22, 2017
- Fighting Blindness: TSRI Scientists Bring a Key Protein into Focus March 6, 2017
- Vitamin B3 Prevents Glaucoma, JAX Researchers Find February 16, 2017
- New Method to Detect Ultrasound with Light February 13, 2017
- In the Zinc of an Eye January 9, 2017
- National Multisite Study Led by NYU Langone Seeks New & Innovative Ways to Treat Shingles of the Eye November 17, 2016
- Retinitis Pigmentosa May Be Treated by Reprogramming Sugar Metabolism November 14, 2016
- New Findings Show Promise for Treatment of Graves’ Disease and Other Ocular Disorders November 11, 2016
- Pain medicine helps preserve vision in model of inherited retinal degeneration June 27, 2016
- Researchers Find Immunosuppressive Medication An Effective Treatment For Ocular Graft-Versus-Host-Disease April 13, 2016
- Scientists reveal new target for anti-lymphangiogenesis drugs April 12, 2016
- Largest Eye Study Among Chinese Americans Identifies More Effective Ways to Prevent and Treat Blinding Eye Diseases for This Racial Group April 8, 2016
- Neuronal Feedback Could Change What We “See” March 29, 2016
- Nerve injury appears to be root of diabetes-related vision loss March 23, 2016
- IUPUI researchers use stem cells to identify cellular processes related to glaucoma March 21, 2016
- Before retinal cells die, they regenerate, Penn Vet blindness study finds March 18, 2016