National Eye Institute (NEI)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Program Director and Research Resources Officer, Division of Extramural Research
- Small Business Grants
- Research Resources
Dr. Wujek manages the Small Business Innovation Research and the Small Business Technology Transfer research portfolios. These areas provide early-stage financial support for high-risk technologies with strong commercial promise. Projects within these portfolios include a broad range of initiatives from new pharmaceuticals to diagnostic and treatment devices to assistive devices for people who are blind or visually impaired. Some of the drugs and treatment options include:
- A nonintravitreal injection drug for age-related macular degeneration;
- A topical treatment for dry eye;
- Gene therapy for retinal diseases;
- Improved drugs for eye infections; and
- A new drug for glaucoma.
In the ophthalmic instruments area new imaging devices are under development to improve images of the retina. Under development in the diagnostic and treatment area are devices such as:
- A screening system for primary care physician offices to detect amblyopia;
- A telemedicine network to screen for diabetic retinopathy;
- An improved glaucoma drainage system device to regulate pressure in the eye;
- New intraocular lenses for cataracts; and
- Several new assistive devices for people who are blind or visually impaired including: cell phone object recognition systems; internet browsing assistive systems; indoor navigation systems; and an improved printer for Braille and tactile graphics.
Prior to joining the NEI, Dr. Wujek served as a scientific review administrator at the NIH Center for Scientific Review managing two Small Business study sections including: the Visual Systems section covering medical devices and therapeutics for diagnosis and treatment of ocular diseases; and Neuropharmacology section covering applied research to develop treatments, diagnostic methods, and disease models for neuropsychiatric disorders and neurodegenerative disease. Dr. Wujek serves on several trans-NIH committees including: Blueprint for Neuroscience Neuroplasticity Workshop, Blueprint for Neuroscience Translational & Preclinical Project, Rapid Access to Interventional Development Pilot, Blueprint Small Business Working Group, and US-JAPAN Brain Research Cooperative Program.
Dr. Wujek is co-author of many basic research articles in neurology and published in Developmental Brain Research, Experimental Neurology, Journal of Comparative Neurology, Journal of Neuroimmunology, Journal of Neurological Sciences, Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, Molecular Brain Research, Neurobiology of Aging, and The Spine Journal.
The National Eye Institute (NEI), part of the National Institutes of Health, leads the federal government's research on the visual system and eye diseases. NEI supports basic and clinical science programs that result in the development of sight-saving treatments.
National Eye Institute