Medicare provides a benefit to help pay for comprehensive dilated eye exams for people with diabetes and those who are at higher risk for glaucoma. Specifically, Medicare will cover 80 percent of the doctor's examination fee; the patient or his/her secondary insurance must pick up the deductible and the remaining 20 percent balance. Medicare does not cover routine eye care.
People with Medicare who are eligible for this benefit include the following:
- African Americans aged 50 or older
- Hispanics aged 65 or older
- People with a family history of glaucoma
- People with diabetes
For additional information about the Medicare benefit, contact 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) or visit http://www.medicare.gov.
Promote the Medicare benefit
Use the resources below to educate others about the Medicare benefit. You can also let other professionals know about the availability of the Medicare cards so they can use them in their community.
Medicare benefit card: Glaucoma and diabetic eye disease
This promotional card was developed by the National Eye Institute with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to promote the glaucoma and diabetic eye disease benefit under Medicare. These colorful, two-sided cards include information about benefit eligibility and where to find more information. They can be distributed at health fairs, clinics, meal sites, senior centers, and other community locations.