Learn about NEI's programs and research priorities
NEI supports research that targets the leading causes of blindness and vision impairment — including a broad range of basic and clinical research, clinical trials, epidemiologic studies, research training, and career development.
Review current funding opportunities
NIH’s Grants & Funding search page (from the Office of Extramural Research) offers up-to-date information about NIH funding, including all programs that NEI sponsors or participates in.
Find AGI funding
The Audacious Goals Initiative (AGI) for Regenerative Medicine is an effort by NEI to push the boundaries of vision science and restore vision through regeneration of the retina.
Explore funding for international research
Looking for a way to conduct research or get training outside of the United States?
- The Fogarty International Center (FIC) at NIH supports global health research and builds partnerships between research institutions here and abroad. Learn about funding opportunities from FIC.
- NEI has details about grants, programs, and regulations related to research in foreign countries. Get more information about international research.
- NEI’s Extramural International Research Information Coordinator can answer any questions about conducting research abroad. Call 301-451-2020 or send them an email.
Learn about the Basic Behavioral and Social Science Opportunity Network (OppNet)
OppNet is a trans-NIH initiative designed to expand funding of basic behavioral and social sciences research. Vision researchers can contribute to the goals of this initiative by collaborating with behavioral and social scientists to study the visual system’s role in complex behavior and social systems.
- Learn more about this initiative and find funding opportunities. Explore the OppNet website.
- NEI’s Perception and Psychophysics Program Director can answer your questions about getting funding through an OppNet initiative. Call 301-451-2020 or send them an email.
Learn about the NIH Common Fund
Congress created the NIH Common Fund in 2006 for research programs that cut across multiple divisions at NIH — and that no one division could tackle on its own. Common Fund programs focus on urgent NIH priorities, emerging scientific opportunities, and pressing challenges in biomedical research.
- Get an overview of the Common Fund and its areas of focus. Explore the Common Fund’s website.
- Learn about this year’s Common Fund opportunities. See an overview of Common Fund programs.
- The Common Fund’s High-Risk, High-Reward program helps exceptional scientists pursue creative approaches to major research challenges. Learn about the High-Risk, High-Reward program.