November is National Diabetes Month
Diabetic eye disease, a leading cause of blindness, often has no early warning signs. Early detection, timely treatment, and appropriate follow-up care are the only ways to prevent vision loss.
During National Diabetes Month, the National Eye Health Education Program (NEHEP) is encouraging you to spread the word about how people with diabetes can protect their vision.
As a health professional or community leader, you are in a good position to encourage people to take steps to protect their vision. Help spread the word about diabetic eye disease with our latest educational resources.
Hear from experts on diabetes and eye health
This National Diabetes Month, NEI teamed up with the American Diabetes Association (ADA) for a LinkedIn and Facebook Live event to discuss diabetes and eye health. Watch the recording to hear NEI’s Dr. Chew and ADA’s Dr. Gabbay talk about preventing and managing diabetic eye disease and learn about new treatment options!
Share these resources
Use our resources to spread the word about how people with diabetes can protect their vision.
Give a presentation
You can share important information about how people with diabetes can prevent vision loss through early detection, treatment, and follow-up care.
Spread the word on social media
Use the Facebook and Twitter posts below to tell your followers about National Diabetes Month. You can also use these posts to talk about diabetic eye disease all year long.
- By 2030, an estimated 11 million people will have diabetic retinopathy. If you have diabetes, make sure you keep your health on TRACK! Learn more: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- Newer and better treatments for diabetic retinopathy are now available. This National Diabetes Month, talk with your eye care provider about what would be best for you. If you don’t have an eye care provider, get tips for finding one in your area by visiting https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/finding-eye-doctor
- If you have diabetes, keep your vision health on TRACK. Watch this animation to learn how: https://youtu.be/V7YNJPqniRQ
- Don’t let finances keep you from getting proper eye care, especially during National Diabetes Month. Help may be available. Learn more about financial assistance for eye care at https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/get-help-paying-eye-care
- If you have #diabetes, make healthy vision YOUR priority during National Diabetes Month! Learn more from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- #DidYouKnow #DiabeticEyeDisease treatment is 95% effective in preventing #blindness when detected early? https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/diabetic-retinopathy #NDM
- If you have #diabetes, keep your health on TRACK during #NationalDiabetesMonth! More from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month
- November is National #Diabetes Month. @NatEyeInstitute has resources to help protect the sight of people with diabetes: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources
- November is National #Diabetes Month. Don't lose sight of diabetic eye disease. Learn more from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/nehep/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/diabetic-eye-disease-resources/national-diabetes-month