September is Healthy Aging Month
Vision loss isn’t a normal part of aging — but older adults are at higher risk for certain eye diseases like age-related macular degeneration (AMD). As the U.S. population gets older, it’s important to spread the word about ways to prevent vision loss in older adults.
This Healthy Aging Month, join the National Eye Health Education Program (NEHEP) to help raise awareness about eye health and aging. Let people in your community know how they can protect their vision as they get older.
Share these resources
Use our resources to spread the word about healthy aging and vision.
Order print materials by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Help people talk with their doctor about AMD
Visiting the doctor can be stressful — especially when dealing with a new diagnosis. This guide makes it easy for people recently diagnosed with AMD to talk to their doctor. It includes:
- Information about AMD
- Questions for the doctor
- A symptom tracker
Give a presentation
You can share important information about how people can protect their eyes as they age.
Spread the word on social media
Use the sample Twitter and Facebook posts below to tell your followers about Healthy Aging Month. You can also use these posts to talk about healthy aging and vision all year long!
- It's Healthy Aging Month! Older adults with vision loss are at higher risk for falls — but the good news is that eye exams and prescription glasses can help prevent falls. See your eye doctor for a dilated eye exam and learn how you can protect your sight: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/get-dilated-eye-exam
- Planning a trip to your eye doctor during Healthy Aging Month? Use these tips to talk with your doctor about your eye health: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/finding-eye-doctor/talking-your-eye-doctor
- September is Healthy Aging Month! Needing reading glasses is a common vision change as people age — vision loss and blindness are not. Check out 8 ways to protect your vision as you get older: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/8-things-you-can-do-right-now-protect-your-vision
- Looking for resources to promote eye health for older adults during Healthy Aging Month? Check out these infographics, videos, and other resources from the National Eye Institute: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/vision-and-aging-resources/healthy-aging-month
- Healthy Aging Month is a great time to remind older adults about steps they can take to protect their vision. Use the National Eye Institute’s See Well for a Lifetime Toolkit to lead group sessions in your community: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/vision-and-aging-resources/see-well-lifetime-toolkit
- It’s #HealthyAgingMonth! #DYK older adults with vision loss are at higher risk for falls? The good news is that eye exams can help protect your vision and prevent falls. Learn about eye exams from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/vision-and-aging-resources/healthy-aging-month
- Planning a trip to your eye doctor during #HealthyAgingMonth? Use these tips from @NatEyeInstitute to talk with your doctor about your eye health: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/finding-eye-doctor/talking-your-eye-doctor
- Vision can change as you get older — but vision loss is not a normal part of aging. Learn 8 ways to protect your vision with this resource from @NatEyeInstitute: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/healthy-vision/8-things-you-can-do-right-now-protect-your-vision #HealthyAgingMonth
- Looking for ways to educate #OlderAdults about eye health during #HealthyAgingMonth? Check out these resources from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/vision-and-aging-resources/healthy-aging-month
- Teach #OlderAdults how to protect their vision with @NatEyeInstitute’s See Well for a Lifetime Toolkit: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/vision-and-aging-resources/see-well-lifetime-toolkit #HealthyAgingMonth