We’re looking for exceptional candidates for our Diversity In Vision Research and Ophthalmology (DIVRO) summer internship program!
NEI’s mission is to conduct and support research that helps prevent and treat eye diseases and other vision disorders. We believe that increasing diversity in the field of vision research will help us better tackle these challenges.
The DIVRO program offers hands-on training and mentoring in vision research for students from diverse backgrounds who have traditionally been underrepresented in research. These may include:
- Individuals from demographic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation and others to be underrepresented in the biomedical sciences, including Women, African Americans, Hispanics or Latines, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders.
- People with disabilities.
- People from disadvantaged backgrounds including those who are eligible for Federal Pell Grants and other factors.
Interns work closely with leading research scientists at NEI and get experience working in a research environment that will prepare them to continue their studies and advance their careers in basic, clinical, and translational research.
DIVRO interns have the chance to attend seminars and workshops hosted by NEI and by the NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education (OITE). DIVRO interns are also required to present at the NIH Summer Intern Poster Day in August 2023.
Who should apply?
To be eligible for a summer internship at NEI, students must:
- Be at least age 17 by June 15, 2022 (Note: you can’t start in the lab until you’re age 17 or older)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be enrolled at least half-time in high school, or be accepted or enrolled in an accredited U.S. college, university, or professional school (like medical, dental, or veterinary school)
- Have completed course work relevant to biomedical, behavioral, or statistical research
- Show a commitment to enhancing diversity in STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine)
College, graduate, and professional school students
- Application deadline: March 1, 2022
- Apply online through the NIH Summer Internship Program
- For question 8 on your online application, choose “Preferred Institute/Center (IC): National Eye Institute (NEI)”
- After you submit your application, email Dr. Cesar Perez-Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org
High school students
- Application deadline: February 1, 2022
- Before you apply: Contact Dr. Cesar Perez-Gonzalez at email@example.com
- To learn more and apply: Visit the High School Summer Internship Program on the NIH OITE website
The NEI Office of the Scientific Director selects high school students for the DIVRO program. Please don’t contact principal investigators about your application.
About summer internships at NEI
Learn more about summer internships at NEI — including answers to frequently asked questions about topics like where internships happen, how long they are, and whether stipends and housing are available — on our Summer Intern Program page.