January is Glaucoma Awareness Month
Glaucoma is a leading cause of vision loss and blindness in the United States. Glaucoma has no early symptoms — that's why half of people with glaucoma don't know they it.
The only way to find out if you have glaucoma is to get a comprehensive dilated eye exam. There's no cure for glaucoma, but early treatment can often stop the damage and protect your vision.
Anyone can get glaucoma, but those at higher risk include:
- African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos over age 40
- Everyone over age 60
- People with a family history of glaucoma
- People with certain health conditions, like diabetes or high blood pressure
Join the National Eye Health Education Program (NEHEP) in encouraging people at higher risk for glaucoma to make eye health a New Year's resolution by getting a dilated eye exam.
Share these resources
Help people talk with their doctor about glaucoma
Visiting the doctor can be stressful — especially when dealing with a new diagnosis. This guide makes it easy for people recently diagnosed with glaucoma to talk to their doctor. It includes:
- Information about glaucoma
- Questions for the doctor
- A symptom tracker
Give a presentation
Share important information about how people with glaucoma can protect their vision with this presentation. Use our toolkit to lead an educational session in your community. It’s easy to use, even if you don’t know much about eye care or haven’t led group discussions.
Spread the word on social media
Use the Twitter and Facebook posts below to tell your followers about Glaucoma Awareness Month. You can also use these posts to talk about glaucoma all year long.
- If you've been diagnosed with glaucoma, you might have questions about what this means. @NationalEyeInstitute’s guide can help you start the conversation with your doctor: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/outreach-materials/talk-your-doctor-about-glaucoma
- It can be hard to describe what vision loss looks like for people with glaucoma. This Glaucoma Awareness Month, see what it's like to live with this common eye disease using @NationalEyeInstitute's virtual reality app: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/see-what-i-see-virtual-reality-eye-disease-experience
- January is Glaucoma Awareness Month. Get the facts about glaucoma and schedule a comprehensive dilated eye exam to protect your sight. Learn more from the National Eye Health Education Program: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/glaucoma
- Celebrate healthy vision during Glaucoma Awareness Month by educating others about this potentially blinding disease that has no early warning signs. Find resources to help raise awareness at https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/glaucoma-resources/glaucoma-awareness-month
- Take control of your health in the new year. A dilated eye exam can help prevent vision loss caused by glaucoma. Learn more from the National Eye Health Education Program: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/glaucoma
- If you've been diagnosed with #glaucoma, you might have questions about what this means. @NatEyeInstitute’s guide can help you start the conversation with your doctor: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/outreach-materials/talk-your-doctor-about-glaucoma
- This #GlaucomaAwarenessMonth, see what it's like to live with #glaucoma using @NatEyeInstitute's virtual reality app: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/see-what-i-see-virtual-reality-eye-disease-experience
- January is #GlaucomaAwarenessMonth. Get the facts about #glaucoma from @NatEyeInstitute & get a dilated #EyeExam if you’re at higher risk: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/glaucoma
- Celebrate #GlaucomaAwarenessMonth by helping to educate others about glaucoma. Find @NatEyeInstitute resources to increase awareness: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/resources-for-health-educators/glaucoma-resources/glaucoma-awareness-month
- Protect your vision from #glaucoma. Take the first step and get informed today! More from @NatEyeInstitute: https://nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/glaucoma