The NEI supports a broad range of basic and clinical research to:
- Test new agents, technologies and other interventions for the prevention, diagnosis, or treatment of eye diseases and/or improve vision-related quality of life
- Conduct population-based research to describe the prevalence of eye diseases across the life span and within and among divergent demographic groups
- Conduct studies to identify risk factors (both biological and social) for the development, persistence, and progression of eye diseases
- Conduct secondary data analyses utilizing existing database resources
- Conduct system-level health services research to improve vision health and/or reduce health disparities
- Develop new statistical methodology and tools appropriate for analyzing vision health data
- Develop new approaches to conducting clinical research studies including those that capitalize on point-of-care and electronic medical records
- Conduct research to develop nomenclature (e.g., common data elements) and quantitative methodologies to facilitate big data analytics
Sangeeta Bhargava, Ph.D.
Donald F. Everett, M.A.
Maryann Redford, D.D.S., M.P.H.
Jimmy Le, Sc.D.