Keep your Eye on the Future!
Are you a teen who’s interested in science? Enter our Eye on the Future video contest! We want to hear about what the next generation of scientists (that’s you!) is studying — and how you want to make an impact. You can submit on your own or team up with a group of friends.
We’ll pick the top 3 videos, and the winners will get cash prizes — plus the opportunity to visit the National Institutes of Health!
What are the contest rules?
You can submit your video any time between January 27 and May 1, 2022. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure your video is 30 seconds to 3 minutes long
- If you’re working in a group, include up to 3 people max — and you must pick 1 person to be your group leader. All members of the group must be U.S. high school students
- Submit your video with a signed registration form, and for each individual who appears in the video, a signed video authorization form
- Don’t use copyrighted music or images unless you have written permission from the copyright owner
Additional rules can be found at: www.challenge.gov/?challenge=nei-nih-eyeonthefuture
What can I win?
We’ll pick the 3 highest-scoring submissions as our winners. The cash prizes are:
- First place: $2,000
- Second place: $1,000
- Third place: $500
We’ll also invite each winner to visit our headquarters in Bethesda, MD.
- NEI will cover the cost of all related travel, reasonable housing and meals for the winners and a parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- If you’re working in a group and your video wins, NEI may limit visitors to 1 group leader and an adult companion based on budget limits — and your team will split the prize money.
- Plans to visit NIH in person may change based on COVID-related guidance from the CDC and NIH.
If you’re working in a group and your video wins, NEI may limit visitors to 1 group leader and an adult companion based on budget limits — and your team will split the prize money.
Submit your science video today!
NEI Director Dr. Michael Chiang shares the details on our Eye on the Future science video contest! Submit your video today for a chance to win a cash prize and a trip to NIH.
How do I submit a video?
1. Choose a topic
Decide what your video will be about. Use one of these prompts to inspire your video:
- My first or favorite science experiment
- The impact I’d like to make on the science world in 20 years
- A live science demonstration
- My favorite scientific discovery or invention that has changed the world
2. Plan it out
Try writing an outline and then filling it in to make a video script. Once you have your script, practice by yourself or with others to make sure what you’re saying is clear.
3. Record your video
You can use your phone, laptop, or tablet. Keep these tips in mind while you record:
- Choose a quiet location with a plain background
- Clothing with prints can be visually distracting on camera, so try to wear a solid color – but not black or white
- Please wear clothing that doesn’t have any brands or logos
- Make sure your face and body are well-lit with natural light or a lamp
- Look directly into the camera
- If you use your phone, place it sideways — and use a tripod or a flat surface for a steady shot
In developing your video, protect yourself and others by following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 guidance.
4. Send it in!
Upload your video to YouTube and set the visibility to “unlisted.” Send the link to your video to email@example.com along with the required forms by May 1, 2022:
How will NEI score the videos?
NEI judges will review all submissions to make sure they follow contest rules. Then we’ll score each video using the following guidelines:
- Up to 50 points for clear, accurate, and scientific content
- Up to 50 points for creative content that’s engaging, unique, and exciting
- Up to 10 bonus points for vision-related videos — this isn’t a requirement, but you can earn extra points for videos on eye health or vision science!