Hispanic Heritage Month is September 15 through October 15
It’s time to “celebrar tus bellos ojos” (celebrate your beautiful eyes) during Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM)! At the National Eye Institute (NEI), we focus on making sure Hispanic communities have the information they need to protect their eye health. And as part of this effort, we’re reaching out to Hispanic people — especially people at higher risk for eye diseases. We also highlight the diverse experiences of Hispanic eye health professionals, like how they started their career journey and what excites them about their field.
Join the National Eye Health Education Program (NEHEP) in connecting Hispanic communities with materials and resources to promote eye health — available in both English and Spanish.
Materials about protecting eye health are now available in Spanish!
Share these resources
Use our resources to spread the word about how Hispanic people can protect their vision.
Help prevent eye disease
Explore stories from Hispanic Heritage Month ambassadors
We asked Hispanic eye health professionals about their career journey, what excites them the most about their profession, and what advice they’d give to someone getting started in the field.
Give a presentation
You can share important information to help Hispanic people in your community protect their vision.
Spread the word on social media
Use the following sample Facebook and Twitter posts to tell your followers about Hispanic Heritage Month! As a reminder, you can use the globe icon at the top of this page to see these posts in Spanish.
- Looking for credible #EyeHealth info in Spanish? Good news: @NatEyeInstitute’s easy-to-understand #EyeHealth resources are now available in Spanish, too! Take a look and share: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol #HispanicHeritageMonth #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- This #HispanicHeritageMonth, share @NatEyeInstitute’s Spanish-language conversation guide to help people talk with the eye doctor about managing #glaucoma: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-campaigns-and-resources/outreach-materials/hable-con-su-medico-sobre-el-glaucoma #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- #DYK? Almost 8 out of 10 Hispanics with #glaucoma don't know they have it. Help Spanish speakers in your community get the facts by sharing @NatEyeInstitute’s #glaucoma resource: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-campaigns-and-resources/outreach-materials/hable-con-su-medico-sobre-el-glaucoma #HispanicHeritageMonth #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- Looking for informative #EyeHealth videos to share with Hispanic adults in your community? This #HispanicHeritageMonth, check out @NatEyeInstitute's Spanish-language video playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNol8zIT_P1CfK7tmaATR5hdMTCGIeZW8 #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- It’s #HispanicHeritageMonth, and @NationalEyeInstitute has plenty of Spanish-language resources to help spread the word about eye-healthy habits! Share this credible, easy-to-understand info in Spanish to help people see their best for years to come: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- Want to help people in Hispanic communities learn how to protect their eye health during #HispanicHeritageMonth? @NationalEyeInstitute has just the resources you need! Check out and share info about eye conditions in Spanish: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol/aprenda-sobre-la-salud-ocular/enfermedades-y-afecciones-de-los-ojos #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- Hispanic people in the US have some of the highest rates of vision loss caused by eye diseases like diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma. So this #HispanicHeritageMonth, join @NationalEyeInstitute in sharing Spanish resources to help people keep their vision healthy!
Start with this list of 8 things people can do right now to protect their vision! https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-campaigns-and-resources/healthy-vision-resources/healthy-vision-month/8-cosas-que-puede-hacer-ahora-mismo-para-proteger-su-vision #HHM #EyeHealthEducation
- Hispanics/Latinos are more likely to develop #diabetes, which can lead to vision loss and blindness. So this #HispanicHeritageMonth, share @NationalEyeInstitute’s Spanish-language resources to help people in your community learn about diabetic eye disease: https://www.nei.nih.gov/espanol/aprenda-sobre-la-salud-ocular/campanas-de-difusion-y-recursos/recursos-sobre-las-enfermedades-diabeticas-del-ojo #HHM #EyeHealthEducation